Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Joël Robuchon Restaurant

*OLD/Expired* TIP: To get SGD 50 'off' your bill at Resort World Sentosa star and celebrity chef restaurants (Feng Shui Inn, Forest森, Joël Robuchon Restaurant, L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Ocean Restaurant by Cat Cora, Osia, Starz Restaurant, Syun and Tangerine), apply for a 'RWS Invites Silver Membership' at SGD 150 and pick RWS Dining Vouchers as your welcome package. You can simply apply it before your meal at the RWS Invites counter just in front of Hershey's, next to USS entrance. The RWS Dining Vouchers are worth $200 (10 x $20 Voucher) and you can use them all at one go. Furthermore, you can earn up to 20% rebate on dining which you could use to exchange for complimentary parking with 1.50 INVITES$. You are welcome. (Not sure if this is still valid)


Joël Robuchon Restaurant
Address: Level 1, Hotel Michael (Resorts World Sentosa), 8 Sentosa Gateway, 098269
Contact:  +65 6577 7888 or +65 6577 6688
Opening Hours: Sat - Lunch:12pm-2.30pm; Tue-Sat - Dinner: 6pm-10.30pm; Closed on Sun and Mon (except Public Holiday)
Email: Robuchon@RWSentosa.com or dining@rwsentosa.com

Upon arrival, we received warm welcome at the lobby and was quickly ushered to our table at the corner nearest to the entrance of Joël Robuchon Restaurant (fine dining) on the right of the lobby, whereas L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (casual dining) is on the left. My first impression of the restaurant interior was 'WOW!'. Our table has a strategic location where we could see the entire view of our section and we love our couch! The spacing between tables is far enough that you would not be able to "eavesdrop" properly, unless that person is a loudhailer. Nobody can miss the chandelier hanging gracefully in the middle of the restaurant. 


There was a major difference between our menu - mine has no price. This is the second restaurant we have been to with no pricing on the lady's menu; we are unable to recall which was the first. 老了... As a result, I picked what I would really like to have without factoring the price. Indeed, a few of my choices have to add $$ on top of the set price. Oops. The white wine (Condrieu 2010) I picked actually costs $46++ each. I would strongly oppose that if I knew the price.... OUCH!

My menu with no indication of $$

Our gastronomic experience began with a friendly waiter pushing over a trolley of breads and started slicing butter in front of our table. 


He posed for my picture and said he wanted a copy too. Here you go~

Butter and Sea Salt
10 different types of really GOOD breads!
We ate 8 of those delicious breads which we kinda regretted as they took up quite a portion of space in our stomachs. But but, it's a sin not to eat.. FIRST WORLD PROBLEM

Chef's Surprise (Something fried potato, couldn't remember... It tasted alright.)

L’Amuse-bouche (Fruit juice sorta feel; the pistachio added a different taste)


Appetizers

For our set menu, we were allowed to select 2 different appetizers from either of the hot/cold appetizers menu. Both of us selected Le King Crabe from the cold menu, BF picked his second appetizer Le Haricot Vert from the same cold appetizers menu and I chose L’Œuf de Poule from the hot appetizers menu.

Le King Crabe en cannelloni à l’avocat aux saveurs d’agrumes
King crab and avocado cannelloni, citrus and vanilla condiment

Le King Crabe en cannelloni à l’avocat aux saveurs d’agrumes was excellent. Imagine a whole chunk of king crab meat wrapped in avocado! The king crab flesh tasted truly sweet and fresh. 


Le Haricot Vert en duo mêlé de parmesan aux copeaux de foie gras

Green bean with foie gras and parmesan cheese shavings

Le Haricot Vert en duo mêlé de parmesan aux copeaux de foie gras, another cold appetizer that my boyfriend is very fond of. Notice a few lime green strips 'drawn' on the plate? They are made of wasabi which added a unique flavour to the dish.


L’Œuf de Poule mollet et friand au caviar Imperial et au saumon fumé (Suppl.$30)

Crispy soft boiled egg with salmon and imperial caviar (Suppl.$30)

Unknown to the fact that $30++ has to be added to the bill, I ordered L’Œuf de Poule mollet et friand au caviar Imperial et au saumon fumé innocently. Oh boy, I love the CAVIER!!! The best part of this hot appetizer is undeniably the caviar. Soft boiled egg was hidden in the 'nest', which glorified the aesthetic of the dish when the egg yolk oozed out. I would make the same choice even if I am footing the bill.


Mains

I had a strong debate in my mind to decide between ordering the Black Cod or Wagyu Beef from Kagoshima. As he already picked the Black Cod, I chose the latter in medium rare. I did not expect much from the beef as none of the beef I tasted could surpass or meet the standard of the experience I had at Pollen on my birthday in 2014.

Le Bœuf “Kagoshima” grillé macaroni “Candele” fine farce aux morilles mitonnées et copeaux de parmesan (Suppl.$45)

Grilled Wagyu beef, Candele macaroni pasta with morels and parmesan shavings (Suppl.$45)

After I took the first bite, I fell in love with it immediately, to the point that I nearly teared. Finally something worth mentioning after almost 2 years! The Wagyu Beef was terrifically tender and juicy! What a divine delicacy on earth! On the contrary, the sides did not shine as bright. I did not really fancy the macaroni pasta. Nevertheless, this dish was still the star of the night. Credits to the remarkably well cooked beef and the chef of course. The beef has highly exceeded my expectation. Woohoo! =D

Le Black Cod caramélisé et relevé d’un jus perlé au poivre noir de ″Malabar ″ et pak choy

Caramelized black cod with bok choy and Malabar black pepper sauce

The Black Cod was awesome. It was so fresh that minimal effort was needed to slice the fish. The only downside was the slightly-too-salty sauce, but it was easily 'resolved' by dipping less sauce on the fish. I would be happy if I picked this as my main too.

Le Signature Joël Robuchon's Mashed Potato

Yippie! We got to try the signature mashed potato that Joël Robuchon was well-known for, one each. Indeed, the mashed potato lived up to its fame - smooth with a fragrant buttery after-taste! 



Palate cleanser

Coconut or passion fruit sorbet? We both presumed that we could only choose one, I was leaning towards the passion fruit sorbet. The waitress politely advised that we could have both flavours, so why not? =) We shared the same sentiment that the coconut sorbet tasted better in comparison with the passion fruit sorbet.




Desserts

Desserts Menu

La waitress recommended the second and third desserts on the menu. We took her recommendations and ordered both. Le Parfum Des Iles for me and Les Herbes for him.

Le Parfum Des Iles onctuosité aux fruist de la passion, granité au rhum ambré et à la noix de coco (Smooth passion fruit, amber rum granite, light coconut foam)

As I am not a fan of rum, the rum tasted too strong for my liking. I would prefer Les Herbes over Le Parfum Des Iles.

Les Herbes au sabayon à la chartreuse verte, ananas à la vanille de Tahiti (Fresh herbs and chartreuse verte sabayon, pineapple flavored with Tahitian vanilla)

Les Herbes may look simple yet it tasted great if you scoop deeper and devour all the ingredients together. By this point, we were 100% full. We would gladly end our dinner here.


Tea

Camomile Tea

Restaurant at full capacity


Delicious cake made up of sorbet

Gold flake!

Rahhh even the cake was delicious! We got 2 slices out of the cake and wondered what happened to the rest of the cake. Do they throw it away or give it to their staff? Hmmm. I hope they won't waste the cake! I would gladly bring it home!


Desserts Part 2

Oh my god. Another trolley came to our table. This time round it was filled with a great variety of delectable desserts! Shoot me please. I had been aiming for the mille-feuille since I saw the trolley appearing on other tables earlier on. But the dessert compartment in my stomach could hardly tank any more food. ='(

Dessert Trolley

Mille-feuille
Mmmmmmmmm so YUMMEH! A pity I could not fully appreciate the mille-feuille as I was too full. I must say that this mille-feuille was incredible.

Coffee puff
As I couldn't take coffee, I did not try this puff. He took this and rated it average. He selected mixed fruit at first but changed his mind to take the coffee puff instead as it looks cute. Lol.


Desserts Part 3

Just as we thought that we have finished our meal and even asked for the bill, ANOTHER TROLLEY CAME. Bet the waitress saw the stunned look on our face and reassured us that this would be the last. Haha! We could pick whatever we want from the trolley!


My selection - Coconut Chocolate Truffle, Lemon Tart and Raspberry Macaron
Coconut chocolate truffle was mehhhh, probably because I am not a big fan of coconut-chocolate mix. Lemon tart was good. Ohhh the macaron was flawless! The softness and easy-to-bite-through-ness of the raspberry macaron proved that the chef has perfected the recipe. Moreover, it was not as sweet as how the usual macarons tasted in other bakeries. <3

Now, I am proud of myself 'overbooking' (or overloading) my stomach to above 100% of its capacity. All the calories were SO WORTH IT.


We were given a gift takeaway at the lobby before we leave. It's a black sesame brioche baked in-house on the day and it expires the next day! No preservative was added! Undoubtedly, it was superb.



We spent a good ~3.5hr immersing ourselves in a marvellous fine dining experience at Joël Robuchon Restaurant. I have to say this is one of the best restaurant I have ever been to, so far, with fabulous food and top notch service standards.

5 comments:

  1. WOW !!! I'm inspired, certainly have to go to one of these restaurants with no price list now. Just mention to my beau & he's perspiring ...lol..
    Thanks for the GREAT review & beautiful pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definitely have to try one of such restaurants at least once in your life! I hope your beau will bring you there one day! Good luck!

      Delete
  2. You are so pretty and I think you are in happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi can I know whether are U order set menu? Total damage was 600 plus for two person ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes we ordered the set menu. It was about $780 for two pax including two glasses of wine. Without the wine, it would be $600+, nearly $700.

      Delete